Cyber-Bullying Tips for Parents
- Ask your child questions, maintain an open dialogue.
- Keep computer in a common room. Talk about your expectations regarding acceptable online/phone behavior before they receive the privilege.
- Behavior online should be the same as what you would do in person or in front of someone you respect.
- Make agreements and set boundaries about accepted use and behavior for online/phone communication. Often youth don’t tell parents because they fear losing technology privileges.
- Help your child think through how the information they put online reflects on them.
- Inform youth about legal limits and future consequences of harmful posting online or by phone.
- Ask your child to teach you about programs and technologies you don’t understand or of which you don’t have familiarity.